Refinancing is a great solution for employed or soon-to-be-employed graduates who have high-interest, unsubsidized Direct Loans, Graduate PLUS loans, and/or private loans.
We look for clients who have a strong history of financial responsibility, which can show itself in many ways. For example, some clients may have a limited credit history, but present healthy savings patterns and a career with strong earning potential. We also look for clients who have an income that supports both the life of the Earnest loan and their everyday living expenses. Positive payment history is another key part of our review process, as this demonstrates you are committed to making your payments in full for all of your existing debts.
You must also meet the following requirements:
- You are at least 18 years old
- You are a United States citizen or possess a 10-year (non-conditional) Permanent Resident Card
- You reside in a state in which we lend
- Your student loans were used to pay for a completed degree from a college or university that is accredited under Title IV. If you are unsure whether your school is accredited, you can consult this list.
- You graduated or are in your final semester
- You are employed or have a written job offer
However, please note that in November 2017 Earnest was acquired by Navient as an independent subsidiary. Navient has an agreement with Sallie Mae Bank that prohibits the refinancing of Sallie Mae loans until 12/31/18.
If you have loans at both Sallie Mae and another lender, the non-Sallie Mae loans may still be eligible for refinancing. If you apply and are approved, your loan offer would apply only to your non-Sallie Mae loans.